USA move to withdraw GSP status will have minimal impact

USA move to withdraw Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) status will have minimal impact, says India

The Indian government on Tuesday downplayed the effect of the decision by the USA government to withdraw trade concessions granted to India under the Generalised System of Preferences (GSP), with Commerce Secretary Anup Wadhawan saying that the impact would amount to $190 million on total export amount of $5.6 billion to the US.

US move to withdraw GSP 

The US Trade Representative office on Tuesday morning (IST) said that it had decided to withdraw the GSP status for India and Turkey at the direction of US President Donald Trump following India’s “failure to provide the United States with assurances that it will provide equitable and reasonable access to its markets in numerous sectors”.

Image result for India“The withdrawal of GSP benefits to India will have a minimal and moderate impact,” Mr. Wadhawan said at a press conference. “The total GSP benefits amount to about $190 million on overall exports of $5.6 billion between the two countries.”

‘Additional requests not acceptable’

“We had worked out a meaningful package that covered the US’ concerns but they made additional requests which were not acceptable at this time,” he added. “The GSP system is envisaged as a non-reciprocal benefit to developing countries.”

Mr. Wadhawan added that India was still in talks with the US on the higher import duties that country charges on steel and aluminium, and said that India was still reviewing whether it would impose retaliatory tariffs or not. The government had in the middle of last year decided the list of items on which it would impose retaliatory tariffs, but has since then postponed the deadline of implementation six times. The latest deadline is April 1, 2019.

By US statute, the changes to the GSP status cannot take effect until at least 60 days after the notifications to the US Congress and the government of India, and will be enacted by a Presidential Proclamation.

NEW DELHI: , MARCH 05, 2019

Porn film Star Sues Trump over hush agreement

PORN FILM STAR SUES TRUMP OVER ‘HUSH AGREEMENT’

Porn film star Stormy Daniels has reportedly filed a lawsuit against US President Donald Trump alleging he never signed a “hush agreement” to keep quiet about their rumoured affair.
Daniels, who real name is Stephanie Clifford, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles on Tuesday that claims the nondisclosure agreement is invalid and she is free to publicly discuss the Trump tryst, according to NBC News.
Daniels’ had alleged that intimate relationship with Trump took place in 2006 and 2007 at locations such as the Beverly Hills Hotel and Lake Tahoe.
Both Daniels and Trump lawyer Michael Cohen signed the agreement three days before the 2016 presidential election.

Porn film star Stormy Daniels has reportedly filed a lawsuit against US President Donald Trump alleging he never signed a “hush agreement” to keep quiet about their rumoured affair. Daniels, who real name is Stephanie Clifford, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles on Tuesday that claims the nondisclosure agreement is invalid and she is free to publicly discuss the Trump tryst, according to NBC News. Daniels’ had alleged that intimate relationship with Trump took place in 2006 and 2007 at locations such as the Beverly Hills Hotel and Lake Tahoe. Both Daniels and Trump lawyer Michael Cohen signed the agreement three days before the 2016 presidential election.

In the agreement, Trump is identified as David Dennison and Daniels is referred to as Peggy Peterson, New york Post reported.
 Porn film Star
The documents, which the lawsuit refers to as a “hush agreement”, includes a blank where Trump is supposed to sign – but he allegedly did not give his signature.
Daniels received $130,000 not to talk about Trump, the suit said. Daniels claimed that Cohen has bullied her into keeping quiet and now she’s fighting back.
“To be clear, the attempts to intimidate Clifford into silence and ‘shut her up’ in order to ‘protect Trump’ continue unabated,” NBC news quoted the suit as saying.
“On or about February 27, 2018, Trump’s attorney Cohen surreptitiously initiated a bogus arbitration proceeding against Clifford in Los Angeles.”
-07 March 2018 | IANS | Washington

Trump, Modi’s visit to Israel ‘truly historic’: Netanyahu

Trump, Modi’s visit to Israel ‘truly historic’: Netanyahu

He may have hosted over a hundred of world leaders to Israel this year but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu feels the visits by (Trump, Modi) the US President Donald Trump and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi were “truly historic”.
Netanyahu mentioned this on 20 September 2017 during his address to the United Nations General Assembly. With Modi, Netanyahu said, they imagined the endless possibilities for Israel, for India and for all of humanity.
“I stood here last year on this podium, and I spoke about this profound change in Israel’s standing around the world. Just look at what has happened since, in one year, has happened cents. Hundreds of presidents, prime ministers, foreign ministers, and other leaders have visited Israel, many for the first time,” Netanyahu said.Trump, Modi
“Of these many visits, two were truly historic. In May, President Trump became the first American president to include Israel in his first visit abroad. President Trump stood at the Western Wall, the foot of Temple Mount, where the Jewish people, or rather the Jewish people’s temples, stood for nearly 1,000 years,” he said.
And when the President touched those ancient stones, he touched our hearts forever, Netanyahu said. In July, Netanyahu said, Modi became the first Indian prime minister to visit Israel. He also shared with the world leaders his meeting with the Indian premier.
“You may have seen the pictures. We were on a beach in Podera. We rode together in a jeep outfitted with a portable desalinisation device that some thriving Israeli entrepreneur invented. We took off our shoes, waded into the Mediterranean, and drank seawater that had been purified only a few minutes earlier,” Netanyahu said.
He said in the past year, Israel has hosted a number of world leaders and visited six different continents.
“(In) One year — six continents. I went to Africa, where I saw Israeli innovators increasing crop yields, turning air into water, fighting AIDS. I went to Asia, where we deepened our relations with China, and with Singapore, and expanded our cooperation with our Muslim friends in Azberbaijan and Kazakhstan,” he said.
“I went to Europe, where in London and Paris, Saloniki And Budapest, we enhanced our security and economic ties,” he said. The Israel Prime Minister also expressed his desire to visit Antarctica.
“Now, it’s true. I haven’t yet visited Antarctica, but one day I have to go there. I want to go there, too, because I’ve heard penguins are also enthusiastic supporters of Israel,” he added.
-20 September 2017 | PTI | United Nations

Oscars 2017: 89th Academy Awards ceremony held

Oscars 2017: 89th Academy Awards ceremony held in Los Angeles

The biggest night of Hollywood, the 89th Academy Awards, Oscars celebrated the biggest and best names in the movie business. The award ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Casey Affleck won the Best Actor Award for ‘Manchester By The Sea’ and Emma Stone walked away with the Best Actress Award for her performance in ‘ La La Land ‘. The ceremony ended with much drama – ‘La La Land’ was initially declared as the Best Picture, but it was soon announced that there was an error and the Best Picture Award was, in fact, won by ‘Moonlight’. While confusion prevailed for a while, the makers of ‘La La Land’ graciously left the stage and made way for makers of ‘ Moonlight ‘. Damien Chazelle won the Best Director Award for ‘La La Land’.

Oscars, microstat
The evening ended with ‘La La Land’ taking home six awards while ‘Moonlight’ won three golden statuettes.
The ceremony was hosted by Jimmy Kimmel who took quite a few jabs at the US President Donald Trump.
Here’s the complete list of the winners:

Best Picture – ‘Moonlight’ by Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner

Best Actress in a Leading Role – Emma Stone for ‘La La Land’

Best Actor in a Leading Role – Casey Affleck for ‘Manchester By The Sea’

Best Director
– Damien Chazelle for ‘La La Land’

Best Adapted Screenplay – Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney for ‘Moonlight’

Best Original Screenplay – Kenneth Lonergan for ‘Manchester By The Sea’

Best Original Song – ‘City Of Stars’ from ‘La La Land’ by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul

Best Original Score – Justin Hurwitz for ‘La La Land’

Best Cinematography – Linus Sandgren for ‘La La Land’

Best Live Action Short – ‘Sing’ by Kristof Deak and Anna Udvardy

Best Documentary Short – ‘The White Helmets’ by Orlando Von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara

Best Film Editing – John Gilbert for ‘Hacksaw Ridge’

Best Visual Effects – Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R Jones and Dan Lemmon for ‘The Jungle Book’

Best Production Design – David Wasco and Sandy Reynolds-Wasco for ‘La La Land’

Best Animated Feature – ‘Zootopia’ by Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Clark Spencer

Best Animated Short
– ‘Piper’ by Alan Barillaro and Marc Sondheimer

Best Foreign Language Film – ‘The Salesman’ by Asghar Farhadi

Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Viola Davis for ‘Fences’
Best Sound Mixing – Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace for ‘Hacksaw Ridge’
Best Sound Editing – Sylvian Bellemare for ‘Arrival’
Best Documentary Feature – Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow for ‘O J: Made In America’
Best Costume DesignColleen Atwood for ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them’

Best Makeup and Hairstyling – Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson for ‘Suicide Squad’

Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Male)Mahershala Ali for ‘Moonlight’

-Feb 27, 2017

‘This is not Muslim ban’, says Trump

‘This is not Muslim ban, media reporting it false’, says Trump

Defending his controversial executive order on banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering America, US President Donald Trump has insisted that it is not a Muslim ban as is “falsely” reported by the media.
Trump signed the order which bans Syrian refugees and people from six other countries from entering the US. The move has triggered widespread outrage.
 Muslim ban
The seven countries mentioned are Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Yemen, Syria and Somalia.
“To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting. This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order,” Trump said.
Trump said his administration will again be issuing visas to all countries once the US is sure that it has reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.
“I have tremendous feeling for the people involved in this horrific humanitarian crisis in Syria. My first priority will always be to protect and serve our country, but as President I will find ways to help all those who are suffering,” he said in a statement.
Noting that America is a proud nation of immigrants, Trump said the country will continue to show compassion to those fleeing oppression, but will do so while protecting its own citizens and border.
America has always been the land of the free and home of the brave, he said.
“We will keep it free and keep it safe, as the media knows, but refuses to say,” Trump said, adding that his policy is similar to that of his predecessor Barack Obama who in 2011 banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.
“The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror,” Trump said.
In series of tweets, Trump slammed Senators John McCain and Lindsay Graham for being critical of his immigration policies.
In a joint statement, the two Senators feared that this executive order will become a self-inflicted wound in the fight against terrorism.
“At this very moment, American troops are fighting side-by-side with our Iraqi partners to defeat ISIL. But this executive order bans Iraqi pilots from coming to military bases in Arizona to fight our common enemies,” the two Senators said.
“Our most important allies in the fight against ISIL are the vast majority of Muslims who reject its apocalyptic ideology of hatred. This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country. That is why we fear this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security,” they said.
Trump said the joint statement of former presidential candidates McCain and Graham was wrong and they are weak on immigration.
“The two Senators should focus their energies on ISIS, illegal immigration and border security instead of always looking to start World War III,” Trump tweeted.
McCain and Graham said the government had responsibility to defend American borders, but must be done in a way that makes the US safer and upholds all that is decent and exceptional about the nation.
“It is clear from the confusion at our airports across the nation that President Trump’’s executive order was not properly vetted. We are particularly concerned by reports that this order went into effect with little to no consultation with the Departments of State, Defence, Justice, and Homeland Security,” they said.
“Such a hasty process risks harmful results. We should not stop green-card holders from returning to the country they call home. We should not stop those who have served as interpreters for our military and diplomats from seeking refuge in the country they risked their lives to help,” they said.
“We should not turn our backs on those refugees who have been shown through extensive vetting to pose no demonstrable threat to our nation, and who have suffered unspeakable horrors, most of them women and children,” they added.
Coming out in support of Trump, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes said in light of attempts by jihadist groups to infiltrate fighters into refugee flows to the West, along with Europe’s tragic experience of coping with this problem, the executive order on refugees is a common-sense security measure to prevent terror attacks on the homeland.
“While accommodations should be made for green card holders and those who’ve assisted the US armed forces, this is a useful temporary measure on seven nations of concern until we can verify who is entering the United States,” Nunes said.
“I’ve stated repeatedly that refugee flows from certain war-torn regions pose a serious national security threat to the US,” the top Republican Congressman said.
-30 January, 2017 | PTI | Washington