Brave Indian force can defend our borders: Rajnath Singh

Brave Indian forces can defend our borders: Rajnath Singh on Doklam standoff

Indian security forces can defend the country’s territories bravely, said Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday, August 21.

Brave Indian forces can defend our borders: Rajnath Singh on Doklam standoff

Indian security forces can defend the country’s territories bravely, said Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday, August 21.

“Our security forces have all the power to protect Indian borders,” said Singh at an event organised by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). “Thought they’ll be cold and tired but the spirit I saw in them (security forces)! No one would dare raise eyes towards India. We have such brave soldiers.”

“I went to Ladakh once and had never experienced such harsh cold in life. I was told (ITBP) Jawans would meet me in morning,” recalled Singh, further adding the the government will make sure that “their promotions aren’t delayed.”

Speaking on the ongoing standoff between India and China at Doklam, the minister said, “There will be a solution soon and I am sure China will make a positive move.”

“India has never attacked any country, nor does it have an ambition to expand its borders. Security forces are equipped to handle any situation (at the border),” he further added.

The home minister said he wanted to convey a message to all neighbouring countries that India wanted peace.

The ITBP guards the 4,057 km long Sino-Indian border from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh.

India and China have been locked in a face-off in the Doklam area of the Sikkim sector after Indian troops stopped the Chinese Army from building a road in the area over the last two months.

China has been ramping up rhetoric against India over the last few weeks demanding immediate withdrawal of Indian troops from Doklam. The Chinese state media, particularly, have carried a barrage of critical articles on the Dokalam stand- off slamming India.

With Agency Inputs

-August 21, 2017, New Delhi

 

Sukma ambush: Death toll in Maoist attack rises to 12

Sukma ambush: Death toll in Maoist attack on CRPF rises to 12, Rajnath Singh to visit site

Sukuma ambush

Twelve CRPF personnel were on Saturday killed and their arms looted when Naxals ambushed their patrol party in the Maoist hotbed of Sukma in Chhattisgarh.

Four personnel were also injured in the Naxal attack and two of them were stated to be critical.

The incident occurred in the dense forests near Kottacheru village under Bhejji police station, around 450 kms away from the state capital, at 9:15 amwhen 112 personnel of CRPF’s 219th battalion were out for a road opening task.

 The Bhejji area in south Bastar region of the state is notorious for Naxal attacks and many security personnel have been killed here in the past.

The Naxals also looted ten weapons like INSAS and AK series assault rifles and two radio sets from the killed men, officials said.

“The troops were part of the road clearing party that has been securing an under-construction road between Bhejji and Kottacheru. They were ambushed by Naxals who set off multiple hidden IEDs on the ground and opened fire. The squad effectively retaliated before twelve made the supreme sacrifice,” acting CRPF DG Sudeep Lakhtakia said.

He added that Maoists are trying to disrupt normal life and activities in this area as the Central Reserve Police Force has increased its presence here and got re-opened a local ‘haat’ (market) last year here after it was forcibly shut by the red ultras.

FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW

  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi took stock of the situation and spoke to Home MinisterRajnath Singh who will be travelling to Sukma.
  • Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh has strongly condemned the Maoist attack and described it as a “cowardly act”.
  • Security personnel have laid down their lives to free Bastar from violence and Maoist terror. Their sacrifice will not go in vain. “I salute their sacrifice,” the CM said, adding ultras were frustrated with development of road network in the region.
  • He also extended condolences to the bereaved families.
  • The CRPF chief and senior officials are also rushing to Raipur.
  • A senior Chhattisgarh official said that the road opening party was passing through the forests between Bhejji and Kottacheru villages when Naxals opened indiscriminate fire on them.
  • According to a CRPF official, summer season is regarded as an offensive period by rebels as they observe annual ‘tactical counter offensive campaign’ (TCOC).
  • The dry weather is a favourable period for carrying out ambushes in the vast jungle terrain and this attack would have been planned by Maoists led by hardcore naxal cadre Hidma who is active in southern part of Bastar, the paramilitary official added.
  • However, further investigation would reveal the details, he added.
  • The injured have been air lifted and brought to the CRPF field hospital in Bheji and few others have been transferred to Raipur.
  • A special counter-Naxal teamof CoBRA has been rushed to the ambush spot as reinforcement to sanitise the area and launch a search.
  • Another senior CRPF officer said the ambush site has very weak mobile phone connectivity and communication is being done through satellite phones.
  • “It is estimated that a hundred plus Maoist squad was present in the area when the ambush was launched. These are preliminary inputs. More details are awaited,” the officer said.

-Saturday, March 11, 2017 | PTI | Raipur

 

Centre issues high alert over possible attacks by Pak

Centre issues high alert over possible attacks by Pakistan

 Centre issues high alert over possible attacks by Pakistan-based terror groups

The Centre on Friday issued a country-wide alert asking states to step up vigil to foil any attempt by Pakistan-based terror groups to avenge the surgical strike on their launch pads in PoK even as Home Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed security situation along the Indo-Pak border.

Security agencies were also apprehending stepped up action by militants currently operating in Jammu and Kashmir targeting security forces and civilians following yesterday’s surgical strike by special forces of the Army on seven terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).

Security was strengthened at vital installations across Punjab and a high alert has been sounded at all airbases across the state while evacuation of people residing in villages along the International Border continued.

During the hour-long meeting with the country’s top security brass, Singh instructed the officials to ensure that the forces posted along the border remain on alert as the situation along the Indo-Pak border continues to be volatile, official sources said.

The Army, meanwhile, trashed reports in Pakistan about Indian casualties during the operation, saying one member of the special forces received minor injury during exfiltration but it was not due to any enemy or terrorist action.

The operation was a clinically planned one and the attack on the seven launch pads were carried out simultaneously, sources said.

The sources said it was a moonless night and total darkness helped the special forces bring in the element of surprise with total effectiveness.

It has been estimated that casualties was at least 40 on Pakistani side but there was no official confirmation.

Choppers also hovered over several sectors on the Indian side of the LoC to divert attention of the Pakistani security forces guarding various posts.

There were unconfirmed reports that the operation has been video-graphed using drones. There have been satellite images of the operation as well, the sources said.

In an advisory, the Home Ministry conveyed to the states that additional forces should be deployed in all sensitive places, strategic installations, markets, religious places and other key places to ensure security, the sources said keeping in mind the upcoming festive season.

Metro cities were particularly asked to be extra vigilant.

States touching the border with Pakistan — Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat — were also directed to remain vigilant.

Sources said there is high probability that Pakistani agencies may try to use the terror groups to carry out strike in Indian soil to avenge the attack.

The country’s top security brass briefed the Home Minister about the situation along the border and steps being taken to foil any Pakistani design to attack BSF posts besides safety of civilian population living in forward areas.

Those who attended the meeting include National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi and top officials of security and intelligence agencies.

BSF, which comes under the Home Ministry, has already put all its units along the Indo-Pak border on “high alert”.

Orders have been issued to all its units along IB in Jammu, Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat to step up vigil and bolster their numbers at the posts by bringing in all personnel who are in the reserve.

BSF has also restricted all civilian movement along borders with Pakistan. The border guarding force has also been asked by the Home Ministry to provide manpower to local administration for helping in evacuating people from border villages to safer locations.

-September 30, 2016|PTI| New Delhi

After Pakistan blacks out his speech, Rajnath Singh skips SAARC lunch

After Pakistan blacks out his speech, Rajnath Singh skips SAARC lunch

After Pakistan blacks out his speech, Rajnath Singh skips SAARC lunch; briefs PM Modi in Delhi

 Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday arrived back in New Delhi after skipping a lunch hosted by his Pakistani counterpart Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan. His scheduled news conference at Delhi airport was also cancelled.

Khan had organised the lunch for the visiting dignitaries, who were here to attend the seventh SAARC Interior/Home Ministers’ conference, and had scheduled it after the main meeting.

However, the Pakistani Interior Minister left the venue immediately after the meeting got over despite being the host of the lunch. Singh then took the decision to skip the lunch.

 The Home Minister later had his lunch at his hotel room along with the members of the accompanying Indian delegation. After the lunch, Singh left for India.

The ongoing strain in Indo-Pak relations was also evident at the SAARC Interior/Home Ministers’ conference here when Singh came face-to-face with Khan for the first time today and the two leaders barely shook hands.

As Singh arrived at the venue of the conference at the posh Serena Hotel here, Khan was at the gate to receive the dignitaries. The two leaders barely touched their hands, not even a formal handshake, before Singh moved ahead to enter the meeting hall.

After returning to India, the home minister said that he would unfold the facts relating to his visit to Parliament.

Evading media pressure, Singh said that he had placed India`s point of view across Pakistan, adding all information can be gathered from his speech which is now in the public domain.

However, the Home Minister briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi about his visit to Pakistan.

Earlier in the day, Singh, in a strong message to Pakistan, said there should be no glorification of terrorists as martyrs and also called for “strongest action” against nations supporting terrorism.

Without mincing any words, Singh told the Interior/Home Ministers Conference of SAARC countries that mere condemnation of terrorism and terrorists is not enough.

Singh’s comments in his speech came against the backdrop of Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s praise of Burhan Wani who was killed in an encounter in Jammu and Kashmir on July 8 and his description of Hizbul Mujahideen commander as a martyr, much to India`s ire.

“There should be no glorification or eulogising of terrorists as martyrs. There are no good terrorists or bad terrorists,” Singh said.

Shockingly, Singh`s speech during the meet was blacked out. Members of the Indian media, who had come from New Delhi to report on the conference, were not allowed to cover the speech. They were reportedly kept at a distance by Pakistani officials. Some reports said that there was an aggressive verbal exchange between officials of the two sides over the issue. Only Pakistan state PTV was allowed to cover introductory speeches of Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Interior Minister Chaudhary Nisar Ali Khan. Even private Pakistani media not allowed to cover the event.

Singh arrived in Islamabad yesterday amid protests by supporters of various terrorist groups, including the Hizbul Mujahideen.

-August 4, 2016,Islamabad

UPA “conspired” to defame ex-Gujarat CM Narendra Modi in Ishrat case: Home Minister

UPA “conspired” to defame ex-Gujarat CM Narendra Modi in Ishrat case: Home Minister

Accusing erstwhile UPA government of hatching a “deep conspiracy” to frame Narendra Modi when he was the Gujarat Chief Minister, Home Minister Rajnath Singh today alleged that the previous regime had done a ‘flip-flop’ on the links of Ishrat Jahan with terror outfit LeT.
Without naming P Chidambaram, he charged the then Home Minister with giving “colour” to terrorism by coining the term ‘saffron terror’.
 rajnath microstat
Responding to a calling attention motion on “alleged alteration of affidavit relating to Ishrat Jahan case” in the Lok Sabha, the Home Minister said “unfortunately, I have to say this that there was a flip-flop by UPA government in the Ishrat Jahan case.”
Amid protests and slogan shouting by Congress members who had trooped into the Well of the House, Singh charged Chidambaram of coining the term “saffron terror” and “Hindu terror”.
“Colour, creed and religion should not be associated with terrorism. Terror has no colour… The seculars gave colour to terrorism. Selective secularism cannot be accepted by the country,” Singh said.
He said the recent statement made by Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley before a Mumbai court only reaffirmed the first affidavit filed by the UPA government on August 6, 2009 before the Gujarat High Court that Ishrat had links with LeT.
“It (Headley’s statement) was the second clear indication that she was a terrorist,” he said.
The minister said the second affidavit filed by the government before the High Court on September 29, 2009 “weakened” the fact that she was an LeT operative.
He said the effort seemed to be to “defame the then Gujarat Chief Minister (Narendra Modi), state government, some leaders and those associated with the case. There was a deep conspiracy to frame them,” he said.
The Home Minister said a few key documents including two letters written by the then Home Secretary (G K Pillai) to then Attorney General late G E Vahanvati and the copy of the draft affidavit have so far been untracable.
He said the missing documents include the copy of the affidavit vetted by the AG and the draft of the second affidavit vetted by the AG on which changes were made.
“We have ordered an internal enquiry in the Home Ministry in this regard and necessary action will be taken accordingly,” he said.
-10 March 2016 | PTI | New Delhi

Rajnath meets intelligence, police officials over ISIS

Rajnath meets intelligence, police officials over ISIS 

Top officials of central intelligence and investigative agencies and police of 13 states today held a meeting with Home Minister Rajnath Singh and discussed steps to check the growing influence of ISIS among youngsters through social media and other sources.

Singh held the day-long meeting to review the situation arising out of some Indian youths getting attracted towards ISIS, also known as ISIL or DAESH, and how to deal with the emerging challenge.

“The issues that were discussed included misuse of social media, sources of impetus that attract persons, specially youth, to DAESH, the growth of DAESH influence in India’s neighbourhood and the best possible law enforcement response,” a Home Ministry spokesperson said.

The need for appropriate welfare schemes for minorities, social media strategies to be followed and capacity building of state police organisations, especially in the area of information technology were also discussed threadbare.

In his remarks, the Home Minister said India’s traditions and family values will triumph over even this evil, and that while the traction that DAESH has got in India is extremely limited, and almost insignificant relative to other countries, yet there is a need to keep up vigil on all fronts, and not let down the guard in any manner.

Singh said a large number of people and most Muslim organisations in India had come out against both DAESH and other forms of terrorism.

The 13 states and Union Territory, which attended the interaction are Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi and Maharashtra.

According to intelligence agencies, a total of 23 Indians have so far joined the ISIS of which six were reportedly killed in different incidents. Around 150 Indians are under surveillance for their alleged online links with ISIS, the officials had said.

-16 January 2016 | PTI | New Delhi

Don’t distort secularism: Rajnath Singh

Don’t distort secularism: Rajnath Singh 

It’s the most misused word in the country, says Home Minister

The discussion in Parliament to commemorate the Constitution and its framer, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, took place on Thursday under the long shadow of the debate on intolerance raging outside of it, with the government and the Opposition not conceding even an inch on their entrenched positions on the term ‘secularism’ and its meaning.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu, Lok SabhaSpeaker Sumitra Mahajan and Deputy Speaker M. Thambidurai at the exhibition on the makingof the Constitution at the Parliament Library, in New Delhi on Thursday.— Photo: V. Sudershan

 Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu,
Lok SabhaSpeaker Sumitra Mahajan and Deputy Speaker M. Thambidurai
at the exhibition on the makingof the Constitution at the Parliament Library, in New Delhi .

The importance of the discussion could be gauged from the fact that Prime Minister Narendra Modi sat through the proceedings from the beginning till the day’s end at 7 p.m.

The discussion, officially termed “Commitment to India’s Constitution as part of the 125th birth anniversary of B.R. Ambedkar”, was initiated by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.

Right off the bat, it was clear that it would be a day of contested assertions on secularism and tolerance. “The words ‘socialist’ and ‘secular’ were incorporated in the Preamble through the 42nd Amendment to the Constitution. We have no objection. Let bygones be bygones. B.R. Ambedkar had never thought of the necessity to incorporate it in the Preamble as these two words were part of the Constitution. It is inbuilt in the Indian system,” Mr. Singh said, amid protests from the Congress.

“Secularism is the most misused word in the country. Instead of dharm nirpesksh [religion neutral], we should use a better Hindi translation of the word panth nirpesksh [sect neutral]. The misuse of the word should come to an end, as it has been the source of much tension and misinterpretation,” he said.

In a reference to film actor Aamir Khan’s statement that his wife had once considered leaving the country owing to the rising intolerance, Mr. Singh said: “Dr. Ambedkar faced much discrimination and humiliation in India, but never did he once say he would leave the country and go elsewhere.” This again brought the Opposition to its feet in protest.

NEW DELHI, November 27, 2015