Jallianwala Bagh carnage;100 yrs after UK to apologise
Indian origin British Parliamentarians are organizing a function on April 13 at House of Lords to commemorate centenary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre amid indication that the British Government could offer a “formal apology” for the massacre of more than 1,600 persons.
An email invitation sent by Loomba, Member of House of Lords, to Sanjay Dalmia, noted industrialist and former Rajya Sabha member, said the horrific event was debated in the House of Lords on February 19, 2019 to raise awareness.
“In this context I initiated the debate, supported by many members of the House of Lords, including Lord Desai, Lord Bilimoria, Baroness Verma, Lord Suri, Baroness Northover, Lord Alton, Earl of Sandwich, Lord Morgan, Lord Collins of Highbury and Lord Mawson. They wholeheartedly agreed that the British Government should tender an apology,” the invite read.
“The noble Minister, Rt Hon Baroness Goldie summarised and agreed that it was a deeply shameful episode in British History. “We should never forget what took place 100 years ago. The chair of the Foreign Affairs committee feels that this year may constitute an appropriate moment for her Majesty’s Government to formally apologise. The Foreign Secretary is currently reflecting on the situation. I can say that the views expressed in this debate are certainly noted and will be conveyed back to the department,” said the email invite.
In the email, Lord Loomba said he and Lord Desai had already written to British Prime Minister Theresa May, requesting for an apology for the dreadful act on Indians and the subsequent attempts for a cover-up. The Jallianwala Bagh Centenary Commemoration Committee (JBCCC) comprises distinguished people, including Balbir Singh Kakar (Chair), Ambassador Navtej Sarna, Virendra Sharma, MP, Lord and Lady Desai and Lord Loomba.
“We are inviting community leaders both from India and the UK to attend the event at the House of Lords and hope that after a century, especially on this very day, the British Government will tender an apology to close this unfortunate episode,” said the email. The JBCCC is also organising an exhibition “Punjab under Siege — the Jallianwala Bagh Centenary” with the help of Manchester Museum at different places at the cities of Manchester, Birmingham, London and Glasgow in April.
-06 March 2019 | New Delhi